Attorney at Law
Registered Patent Attorney
Alexandria, Virginia Office
Christopher D. Ward has nearly two decades of experience in the field of patent law. Mr. Ward’s practice has primarily focused on counseling clients in all phases of patent application preparation and prosecution, including appellate practice before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Mr. Ward has extensive experience preparing and prosecuting utility patent applications in numerous mechanical technologies, as well as in various electro-mechanical technologies and control systems. In addition, his academic training and technical experience focused on the fields of fluid mechanics and heat transfer. Mr. Ward also has extensive experience preparing and prosecuting design patent applications for both foreign and domestic clients, and has written articles on the subject of U.S. design patent protection. In addition, he has experience analyzing patent infringement and validity issues, developing and managing patent portfolios for various corporations, as well as managing foreign patent application dockets for domestic clients.
Mr. Ward was formerly with the firms of McDermott, Will & Emery, and Oblon, Spivak, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, P.C. He is registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office as a patent attorney. Mr. Ward is an active member of the Virginia State Bar, and served on the Board of Governor’s of the Intellectual Property Section of the Virginia State Bar from 2004-2007. He is also a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association.
- Electro-mechanical control systems and optimization
- Semiconductor processing
- Light emitting devices
- Image formation devices
- Automotive technology – hybrid systems, fuel cells, braking systems, motorcycle
- Optical systems
- Medical devices
- Reactor technology
- Hydrogen purification systems
- Fluid mechanics
- Heat transfer
- Virginia State Bar
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office – Registered Patent Attorney
- The George Washington University Law Center, J.D., 1996
- Lehigh University, B.S.M.E., 1993
- Member, Pennsylvania Theta Chapter of Pi Tau Sigma
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association – Intellectual Property Law Section
- Virginia State Bar – Intellectual Property Section
- Served on the Board of Governor’s of the Intellectual Property Section of the Virginia State Bar from 2004-2007.
- U.S. Design Patents: An Underdog That Bites (Japanese translation) – International Legal Strategy (ILS), Vol. 12-8 Aug 2003.
- U.S. Design Patents: An Underdog That Bites – Managing Intellectual Property (MIP), Issue 124, page 19. Nov 2002.
- Design Patent Protection in the United States – epi Information Journal, 2/2001 (June), pages 81- 87 Jul 2001.